Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Frozen - Behind the Shot

Nikon D750, Nikon 200-500mm f/5.6 + TC-14EII @ 700mm, 1/800, f/8, ISO 640

I was walking around the Ottawa Nat'l Wildlife refuge on Dec. 5 in the cold and fog and having a nice time when I came upon this scene.  It was 1:49 in the afternoon and still quite foggy and cold.  In fact, when I started the day it was 28 deg. F and only rose to 34 for the high.  Earlier in the day this place was covered in fog so thick I couldn't see very far at all.  There were hundreds of Tundra swan both in the water and in the air and I'd hear them long before I could see them.  Anyway, I saw this view and felt compelled to shoot it.  The tall grass was somewhat golden and backdropped by the clear, whiteness of frozen limbs.  It hadn't snowed.  This was the frozen dew of the fog clinging to its host.  It reminded me (and still does) of infrared pictures I've seen taken by camera's modified with special filters but this time no special filter was needed.  The two birds in sky complete it, I think, for their position in the frame and the touch of interest they provide.  

Nikon D750, Nikon 200-500mm f/5.6 @ 500mm, 1/250, f/5.6, ISO 100



No comments:

Post a Comment