Thursday, July 30, 2015

The Early Bird Gets the Worm - Behind the Shot


Okay, so it's not a worm but he got it nonetheless.  I'd heard of this bird being at Magee Marsh but had not seen it until this last weekend.  It's about 2 hrs from home and I arrived at 9:30am hoping to catch some bird activity before it got hot later in the day.  As soon as I arrived I ran into Bob who I'd met a couple weeks earlier and he was on his way out, saying he didn't see much that morning.  He mentioned a yellow bird he caught a glimpse of but that was it.


Gray Catbird
Undeterred, I went ahead with my plan to spend quite a bit of time there that morning.  As I hung out in one area and moved little the birds were becoming more and more obvious.  The red-winged blackbirds and gray catbirds are plentiful and easy to spot but most of the other birds can be tough because they are small and hang out in the trees which are thick with leaves right now.  The first of the small songbirds I saw were goldfinches and wrens and wondered if the goldfinches are what Bob glimpsed.  After hanging out watching the goldfinches I moved maybe 20' and saw several of the yellow birds above.  Eventually I was able to get several good shots of them as they seemed to ignore me for the most part.  I didn't know what it was but looking it up have determined it's a Prothonotary Warbler which, as you can see, is quite a stunning bird.



No comments:

Post a Comment