Wednesday, February 6, 2013


I'll start this off with some of what I'm doing lately - a little food photography for one thing.  My wife has a couple blogs, one of which she writes of various things and posts pictures.  You can find a link to her blog, The Howell Blessings,  in the right-hand column.  Most of those pictures are of tablescapes and food.  Well, mostly tablescapes but food is starting to make an inroad.  I've taken probably 90-95% of the pictures on her blog up to this time beginning in early 2012.  Funny how things work out sometimes - I provide her with a camera and I end up taking the pictures.

Part of the reason is because I really enjoy it.  Another part of the reason is because it's her way of encouraging me further on this path.  And for that I am grateful.  I want to make images that are pleasing to look at and draw an emotional response from the viewer that makes them say, "wow".  Lofty goal, I know.  But hey, I have the desire so why not?  I'm realistic enough to know I may never achieve those heights but as long as I'm having fun and learning a thing or two along the way I will at least improve.  Hopefully those of you who read this will strike up a dialogue and let me know how I'm doing and/or we can have fun and improve together.


Breakfast Smoothie

I haven't concentrated on any one or two things in my photography.  Rather, I've been playing the field, as it were, from landscape to tablescape, wildlife to still-life, candid family shots to family portrait.  I even did a wedding - kind of.  I was not the hired photographer but was encouraged by the bride to take pictures anyway.  I enjoy it all, though at some point I would expect I'll concentrate on one or two things more seriously.



In the meantime, I'll take whatever presents itself or whatever strikes my fancy and try to do the subject justice.  And, when it comes to food photography I hope the viewer will think, "Yum".  And, if not, let me know that as well.


As mentioned at the beginning of this article, I'm only showing some of what I've been doing lately.  My purpose for showing the food photographs is only for the sake of the photo - is it well done or not, and why?  What appeals, distracts, or repulses?  I don't intend to expound on the ingredients or how it's made but you can find some recipes and read about Meatless Monday's on The Howell Blessings blog if you are interested.  Thanks.



No comments:

Post a Comment