As I commented at the end of the last post on lighting, I'm back with what I tried this week and hopefully the results are better. Be sure to click for larger pictures.
The photo above is just a quick shot with a compact to show the light positions. This time I used three utility lights fitted with 100W bulbs each. The red stand was only used to support the two lights you see lit as it allowed them to be positioned higher than I was able to manufacture otherwise. Other than that, all lights were turned on in the kitchen as before.
I also used a 50mm f/1.4 lens this time instead of the 85mm 1.8 and combined with the lights was able to achieve up to 1/250 shutter speeds. For this reason, the tripod was not used this go around. It was also easier to achieve the specular highlights (reflection of a light source, such as can be seen on the sauce and the beans) which adds a pleasing look to food.
I should mention the top photo of the plated meal was taken in the sunroom with only natural light. To help soften the shadows Mindy held a cookie sheet we covered with crumpled tin foil to act as a reflector behind and above the food. All in all, I think the results were better this time but still have some work to do.
Let me know what you think. Remember to visit Mindy's blog, It All Begins With Dirt, where you can see more photos of this dish as it was prepared. Thanks for visiting.